Procreate allows you to create animated drawings on your iPad. Your animation can be exported as an mp4 video, or as a GIF. We’ll show you how it works.
Make an animated video with Procreate. Here’s how
Time required: 5 minutes
In just a few simple steps, you can create animations with Procreate
- All immobile objects should be drawn in your projectDraw the areas of the image you don’t want to be moved in your animation. Reduce everything to one layer.
- Activate the Animation AssistantTap Actions at the top left to activate the Animation Assistant below Canvas. The bottom of the screen displays a menu. This menu shows you the layers that will make up your animation. As the first frame, you can see the layer that contains your immobile objects.
- As your background, define immobile objectsTo make moving parts appear later on your image, define your background. To do this, tap the appropriate frame in the Animation Bar. Click on the Background button to activate it. The Animation Bar will highlight your background with a blue frame.
- Set your preferencesSettings allows you to adjust how many frames per minute should be displayed in the animation. You can also decide whether the animation should be played in a loop (Ping-Pong), or one time (One Shot).
- Add frames to your animationTo create a new layer, tap Add Frame. You can also draw objects that will move in the future, such as falling snowflakes. You can repeat the entire process on another layer. The falling snowflakes will need to be painted in a way that allows for movement later on, such as by moving, adding or moving objects from the top to the bottom or left to the right.
Export and play your animation
Procreate allows you to test your animation and then play it back. After you are done with your animation, export it to an iPad or other online storage.
- Tap to play from the menu bar at the bottom. The animation will start. You can then see what you need to improve.
- To create a GIF sticker for example, activate Loop under the settings. You can activate One shot if you want your animation only to play once.
- After you’re satisfied with your animation you can export it. You can export your animation by going to Actions in the top left menu panel. Tap Share.
- Procreate allows you to choose from Animated GIF or Animated PNG formats for animated images.
- Procreate can only display 256 colors when creating animated GIF files. Exporting should be reduced if you have used many color tones.
- Go to Actions >Share > Animated IF. Click on Dithtering to activate the button. Next, tap Export.