Bits are virtual currency used on the Twitch platform. And you can either buy them or earn them as tips. Each Bit is the equivalent of one penny or $0.01 USD when you donate it to a streamer. As such, if you were to donate 500 Bits to a streamer, you would have donated a cash equivalent of $5 USD.
To earn Bits for free, you have to do any or all of the following:
- Fill out surveys with Twitch Research Power Group (RPG)
- Watch ads on Twitch mobile
- Watch ads on Twitch desktop
You should know that Twitch Bits can neither be withdrawn from the platform nor can they be donated personally. However, they can be used to encourage and support other streamers, gain attention in chat rooms through animated emotes, gain recognition through badges, gain acknowledgement from streamers, and unlock loot during special eSport events, among others.
How to Earn Bits for Free
As mentioned earlier, you can earn Bits in a number of ways. These include:
Filling Out Surveys with Twitch Research Power Group (RPG)
This is perhaps the easiest method for earning free Bits on Twitch. The number of Bits you can earn is dependent on the length of the survey you fill. Most surveys require between five and ten minutes to complete and they typically provide between 100 and 500 Bits.
Twitch RPG was created to enable users of the platform to provide feedback on how its features can be improved. Joining this Research Power Group will further enable you to enter prize draws that give you the chance to win free Twitch gear, among others.
The following is a step-by-step process on how you can earn Twitch Bits by completing surveys:
- Step One: Sign up for Twitch RPG using a personal email address that you use frequently. A good number of these surveys are time-sensitive, so endeavor to stay up to date so you don’t miss out on them.
- Step Two: Twitch will send emails requesting for user feedback as they research the impact of certain new features and you should participate.
- Step Three: Stream a video between five and 15 minutes.
- Step Four: Provide answers to questions related to the content of the video. These could include details about the merchandise, brands, or ads used in the stream.
Keep in mind that engaging in most Twitch surveys will earn you 500 Bits on completion. If you were to purchase this much Bits, you would spend around $7.00. This provides an easy alternative and you don’t even have to do much.
Watch Ads on Twitch Mobile
You can also watch ads to earn Twitch Bits on your mobile device; it involves an easy and straightforward process. You can use the following steps to do this:
- Step One: Launch the Twitch app and choose the streamer you want to donate to.
- Step Two: Locate the chat box, and then select the Bit icon. Thereafter, click on the “Get Bits” option.
- Step Three: Watch an ad with a duration of about 30 seconds
- Step Four: Collect your Bits.
Note that watching ads on Twitch mobile earns you fewer Bits than if you watched it on your computer.
Watch ads on Twitch desktop
You can also earn Bits by watching ads on your desktop. The following steps will guide you on how to do this:
- Step One: Turn off your ad-blocker. If you are using the Firefox or Chrome browser, simply click the ad-block icon on the menu bar. Thereafter, click on either the “Pause” or “Turn off” option on the site.
- Step Two: Proceed to the streamer of your choice on the platform.
- Step Three: Locate the small, purple icon with two triangles that appear to be a diamond in the bottom-right section of the chat box. Click on it.
- Step Four: Upon clicking, a box with different emoticons will pop up. Proceed to the bottom of the box and select the “Get Bits” option. This will open up a menu with a number of options.
- Step Five: Locate the “Get Bits by Watching Short Ads” header from the list of options, then click on the “Watch Ad” option under it.
- Step Six: When you are done watching the ad of your choice, click on the “I’m Done” option to exit the ad. This will take you to a box that displays the number of Bits you earned by watching the ad. You can expect anything between 2 and 10 Bits.
After you are shown how many Bits you’ve earned, you will be provided with two options – watch another ad or start cheering. Choose the option you are more comfortable with.
A good number of these ads require some form of interaction. Some of them even offer more bits for this.
What’s Next After Watching an Ad?
After you’ve watched an ad, you can decide to either start cheering with the Bits or watch another ad.
To cheer, click on the “Start Cheering” option that pops up after watching an ad. After this, you’ll be transferred to a new window that has different emoticons, which you can use to cheer in the streamer you just used.
Thereafter, select the emoticon of your choice and click on “Send” in the chat room to start cheering. Note that the “Start Cheering” option is not available on the Twitch mobile, so you can’t access this feature on your mobile phone. Also, there are times when the “Start Cheering” option will be unavailable in your Twitch desktop and you won’t be able to access it. If this happens to you, remain calm. There is no problem with your device.
To bypass this, click on the diamond-shaped icon in the chat box. This will enable you to access the list of emoticons you can use to cheer. Choose your preferred option and click on “Send.” The more spectacular an emote is, the more Bits you have to cheer with.
Watch Another Ad
To watch another ad, which will enable you to earn more Bits, simply click on the “Watch Another Ad” option.
There is a limit to how often you can watch ads for Bits. While there is no specific number to the how many you can watch within a time period, you can generally expect to be hindered after watching five ads or thereabouts.
When you reach your limit, a notification will pop-up to inform you. After this, youll be provided with the option to buy more Bits with your money, if you so desire.
Fortunately, this ban doesn’t usually last more than thirty minutes, and then you’ll be able to watch more ads for Bits.
How to Purchase Bits
Perhaps you don’t want to watch a bunch of ads to get your Bits, maybe because of the time demands. Well, there is another option you can use. This option is not free, however, and involves you purchasing Bits with cash.
How then do you do this? Read on to find out:
- Click on the small diamond-shaped icon in the chat box of your streamer to open a window with different emotes.
- Head to the bottom end of the box and click on the “Get Bits” option to open a menu with even more options.
- Finally, select the volume of Bits you want to purchase.
The following are the different prices for purchasing different Bits units:
- 100 Bits – $1.40
- 500 Bits – $7.00
- 1,500 Bits – $19.95
- 5,000 Bits – $64.40
- 10,000 Bits – $126.00
- 25,000 Bits – $308.00
As seen in the prices above, the more Bits you purchase, the better the price deal. Also, if you are a first-time buyer, Twitch offers a discount that enables you to buy 1,000 Bits for $10.00. Note that the maximum volume you can purchase in one day is 500,000.
How to Use Bits
There are several reasons why Twitch users hustle to earn this virtual currency. Some of these reasons are discussed below:
- Purchase Emoticons
To begin with, Bits help you to stand out in a stream when you provide support to streamers of your choice. This is because it enables you to buy animated emoticons, which you can display in the chat room of the streamer you want to support. Note that these emoticons are special and also different from the ones you receive from being a subscriber to the streamers channel. Also, keep in mind that the appearance of the emoticon you use depends on how many Bits you spend.
Based on your preferences, you can either spend your Bits slowly, purchasing one small emoticon at a time or you can spend a lot of it on one big fancy emoticon.
- Inform Streamers of Your Donation
Several streamers set up the alerts on their streams for when other users donate Bits. A good number of these streamers set up the alert in a way that the name and message of the donor appears on stream. Sometimes, streamers read the name and message of donors; sometimes they don’t. Regardless of which option your favorite streamer uses, Bits enable you to gain recognition from them.
- Chat in Sub-only Chatrooms
Bits will help you access channels that would normally require a subscription. That is to say, you don’t have to subscribe to a specific sub-only channel or even have an Amazon sub before you can participate in such channels. If you want to join in the conversation holding in such chatrooms, having Bits is enough to gain you entrance.
- Earn Cheer Chat Badges
Cheer Chat Badges are an excellent way to show your support and dedication to the streamer channel and your Twitch community. They always appear next to your name in the channel in which you have earned them. They are also persistent and will never go away, singling you out for recognition at all times. However, they only appear when you are on the channels on which you earned them.
Finally, not every user can watch ads for Bits as the feature is only available in certain locations. The reason is that Twitch enables all advertisers that use its platform to have control over who sees their ads and in which city they are shown. If these advertisers, therefore, exclude your location or country, you won’t be able to view their ads. You can, however, circumvent this by using a VPN to pretend that you are resident in a different country that has access.